WEDU | Family Histories | Resources
WEDU (We Educate) is the premier educational initiative to train grandchildren of survivors to learn and share their family history in classrooms.
Our next 3-part WEDU training will be held on the following days:
- September 29, 2015
- October 6, 2015
- October 13, 2015
All meetings are from 6:30pm – 8:30pm. Email email@example.com for details and to get involved!
We are excited to share “WEDU” (We Educate) – our education initiative that empowers grandchildren of survivors to bring our family stories and lessons of the Holocaust to school classrooms. Developed under the guidance of Facing History and Ourselves, along with support from Yad Vashem, WEDU prepares participants to learn and teach their family stories.
WEDU is a powerful contribution to Holocaust education:
- URGENCY: As the population of Holocaust survivors declines, their stories should not be lost with them. Now is the time to take responsibility for these stories.
- PERSONAL: As a living link to our grandparents’ stories, we are in a special position to elevate the individual experience from the collective.
- RELEVANCE TO ALL: The Holocaust serves as an instructive entry point for examining prejudice today. This program will make connections between historical events and issues of intolerance and persecution that remain with us.
- SOCIAL ACTION: In a multicultural society, we all have a stake in challenging assumptions. This program will actively engage students to think about ways to confront intolerance and prejudice.
Your involvement is necessary.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer and sharing your family story in a classroom:
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on our next training session, and for any questions.
- Refer to the WEDU volunteer questionnaire, which will help guide you in advance of the training session.
If you prefer not to speak in the classroom, there are other ways to volunteer:
- Help expand our network of teachers and schools
- Help expand our network of WEDU volunteers and events
Please email email@example.com and let us know how you would like to become involved.
Donations are an essential component to WEDU. Donations fund educational materials, resources and our training program. Please go to the donate page on our website, or you can send a check or money order made out to “3GNY” to PO Box 7690, New York, NY 10150. All donations are tax deductible.
3GNY is excited to introduce this initiative and actively involve our community in shaping the future. We look forward to developing this program together and providing a voice to carry on our grandparents’ legacy.